Collaborative Health Governance Program
"Acquire the right competencies and skills needed to navigate in the new word of healthcare governance"
The healthcare sector is facing urgent pressure and scrutiny on systemic issues at every level. Board directors need to think and lead differently to become the drivers of change.
In partnership with the McMaster Health Leadership Academy, the Collaborative Health Governance Program (CHG) has been designed with an understanding of the new world of governance and with the unique requirements of health and social sector boards in mind.
This multi-day virtual program will help directors gain an understanding of the new world of collaborative governance and provide an opportunity to co-design new and innovative approaches to health governance.
“Equipping current and future leaders with the skills, relationships, and system understandings to enable them to be not only effective leaders, but leaders for innovation, creativity, and bravery to help transform our health care system from one that is in crisis to one that serves the needs of Canadians from coast to coast.” – David Price, Co-Director of the Michael G. DeGroote Health Leadership Academy
This specialized program offers an opportunity to learn from governance and healthcare leaders and make a positive and immediate impact in the boardroom with the ability to:
- Facilitate meaningful collaboration to navigate the line between strategy and operational effectiveness
- Cultivate a learn-by-doing attitude of experimentation, reflection, and iterating approaches to working together to solve problems
- Co-create compelling visions with foresight around emerging issues and stakeholder engagement
- Explore new avenues for creating and supporting sustainable value
- Enhance your ability to engage with management and other key board partners particularly around complex multi-stakeholder issues
- Understand your potential liabilities and exposures as a board director and how to mitigate them
- Contribute to the future of health governance in Canada
Leveraging The Directors College proven delivery model for virtual learning environments, the CHG Program’s experiential approach is to learn by doing through case studies, active dialogue and best practice examples to address key questions.
- Dr. Michael Hartmann, Principal of The Directors College, Executive Director of the EMBA in Digital Transformation and Co-Director of the Health Leadership Academy at the DeGroote School of Business
- David A.H. Brown, C.Dir., Executive Vice-President, Governance Solutions Inc.
- Jodeme Goldhar, Principal, Adaptive Strategy Partners
- Shanon Grauer, Counsel at INQ Law
- Andrew Poprawa, C.Dir., Regulatory and Governance Advisor, The Directors College, Facilitator
- Karel Vrendenburg, IBM, Global VP, Client Insights and Research
More faculty and speakers to be announced soon.
This Program is open to:
- Individuals currently sitting on boards, or who intend to service on a board, and those who work with boards of directors
- Healthcare leaders seeking to improve boardroom skills, expand knowledge of good governance, and become high-performing board directors
- The Directors College Alumni, graduates of other accredited programs on governance, and those looking to enhance their knowledge on healthcare stewardship
- Current participants in The Directors College who have not yet completed Module 1 of the Chartered Director (C.Dir.) Program
The Collaborative Health Governance Program can be taken as a stand-alone earning a Certificate of Completion, or graduates of the program can also apply to have the program recognized as the equivalent of Module 1 of the Chartered Director (C.Dir.) Program. To be eligible for program recognition, applicants must meet all of the Chartered Directors Program registration requirements and must also complete a mandatory 90-minute governance workshop and associated readings.
Continuing Professional Development
For graduates of The Directors College programs (C.Dir., A.C.C., H.R.C.C.C.) this course qualifies for 15 hours of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
The Collaborative Health Governance Program is a highly interactive 3.5 day virtual learning experience. The next program offering will be held June 14-17, 2023. Please fill out the application form on the website.
View from the Top - Event Highlights
- Individuals currently sitting on boards, or who intend to serve on a board, and those who work with boards of directors
- Healthcare leaders seeking to improve boardroom skills,
expand knowledge of good governance, and become high-performing board directors
- Individuals who work closely with boards
Virtual delivery ONLY (Zoom)
Next Program Offering:
June 14-17, 2023
Fee – 4370.00 CAD
Fee is inclusive of all materials, certification of completion as Health Governance/The Director’s College graduate and participation in HLA, TDC and other relevant alumni events
Learn more about the Collaborative Health Governance Program and get updates on upcoming events, application deadlines and news.Download
OHT Case Study
We are happy to share the Collaborative Health Governance OHT Case Study for your use.
We’d appreciate your feedback on your experience with the case study here.Download Cases
Connect with Us
Do you have questions related to the program specifically or regarding eligibility? Please let us know by filling out the form below.