Frequently Asked Questions
Who is Eligible for the Physician Fellowship Program?
Physicians enrolled in the Executive MBA in Digital Transformation Program at McMaster University are eligible for the Michael G. DeGroote Health Leadership Academy’s Physician Fellowship Program.
What Value will I receive from the Physician Fellowship Program?
As a Physician Fellow you will have exclusive access to mentors in the Health Leadership Academy’s network as well as opportunities to attend the Michael G. DeGroote Health Leadership Academy’s leadership development events and workshops addressing topics across the health landscape.
After completing the Fellowship Program you will be prepared to:
- Become a more effective leader in both your professional life by gaining greater self awareness
- Gain a broader perspective of health and business applications by learning from mentors, faculty and peers
- Gain confidence as a health and business professional
In its inaugural year, you will be able to co-design the components of the Fellowship Program. This opportunity will define and refine the critical features of this pilot program and ensure it is meeting the needs of all physicians enrolled in the program.
Why offer the HLA’s Physician Fellowship Program in combination with the EMBA in Digital Tranformation?
As a physician leader, gaining critical business insights in a digital world will be of utmost importance to thrive and change the future of healthcare. The EMBA in Digital Transformation allows you to acquire the business and digital skillsets while learning amongst a range of professionals across various disciplines and industries. The Physician Fellowship Program is designed to support your EMBA in Digital Transformation education, applying knowledge within a health context and supporting your career goals in health and healthcare.
When is the Physician Fellowship Program Offered?
Beginning September 17 2018, the inaugural Physician Fellowship Program will run until September 2019. Thereafter graduating from the Executive EMBA in Digital Transformation program physicians will be awarded the title of a Michael G. DeGroote Health Leadership Academy Physician Fellow.
How is the Physician Fellowship Program Structured?
The Physician Fellowship Program is a personalize experience. It is designed to satisify the needs of each physician leader. Whether your are a young professional or a seasoned leader the program will address your own goals, objectives, values and desires.
Depending on your needs, key features of the program may include one or more of the following:
- Goal Setting
- Career Coaching
- 360◦ Mentorship
- Networking Opportunities
- Health Courses
For both personal and programmatic continual improvement purposes the following are built into the program:
- Peer Feedback
- Mentee-Mentor Feedback
- Program Evaluation
What is 360◦ Mentorship?
360◦ Mentorship allows for two-way communication and feedback across multiple levels of an organization or levels of experience. For example, a mentee may be exposed to a mentor who is:
- A more seasoned leader in the same profession
- A more seasoned leader in a different profession
- A peer in the same profession
- A peer in a different profession
- A junior leader in the same profession
- A junior leader in a different profession
How Do I Maintain my Fellowship Status?
To maintain your status as a Fellow the following is required:
- Act as mentor to new mentees
- Act as an Advisor to the Health Leadership Academy in the form of speaking opportunities, the creation promotional materials or co-designing future offerings
- Earn annual continuing education credits by attending conferences, courses or workshops approved by the Michael G. DeGroote Health Leadership Academy
By maintaining your fellowship status you will:
- Build life long friendships and collegial relationships with people who never underestimate the value of continuous learning for personal and professional growth
- Build new neuropathways and expand upon those existing in order to think differently about business and health as you tackle future transformational projects
What is the Fee for the Physician Fellowship Program?
In its inaugural year, there will be no fee to enrol in the physician fellowship program.
Who can I Contact to Learn More?
To learn more about the Fellowship Program please contact Amanda Calzolaio, Manager, Health Leadership Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org.