Emerging Health Leaders Program
“Evolving a new generation of innovative healthcare leaders”
The healthcare landscape is continually changing, and will require innovative leaders who can disrupt the status quo to bring forth meaning changes.
The Emerging Health Leaders Program is an intensive, residential, leadership certificate program for undergraduate and graduate students across the province. With a focus on personal leadership development, collaborative team –engagement design thinking and change management capabilities, this program will challenge your thinking and push you to become a better leader.
Whether you are continuing on to medical school, graduate school or entering the workforce, the Emerging Health Leaders Program will give you the tools to drive innovation in healthcare.
Get emails from the academy about program updates and important dates.
“A life-changing 2 weeks of self-discovery, team work, and integration of leadership into healthcare, with an exceptional community of faculty and students.”
Anahita Dehmoobad Sharifabadi
2016 EHL Graduate
First Year, U of Ottawa MD Program
“Between meeting experts in the field and engaging in compelling discussions and workshops with peers from other programs, the Emerging Health Leaders Program challenged me to think outside the norm. I look forward to carrying the leadership tools and strategies that I learned here with me for the rest of my training and my career.”
2016 EHL Graduate
First Year, McMaster MD Program
So what does that mean for you?
- Experience an intensive leadership development program that will supplement your professional resume or Graduate school application
- Challenge your thinking and develop your personal leadership capabilities
- Develop your ability to collaborate, and work within and across multiple teams to solve complex problems
- Become a champion for innovation by learning how to spot, support and implement new and creative approaches to getting things done
- Learn about how to make an immediate impact in the workplace
Sample Program Outline
- Personal Leadership
- Leadership Simulation
- Building effective teams
- Health Disruptors Speakers Series
- Recruiters Night
- Coaching Self and Mentoring Others
- Persuasive Communications
- Boundary Spanning Leadership
- Developing Strategies for Innovation
- Foresight and Scenario Planning
- The Future of Healthcare
- Design Thinking for Innovation
- Health Disruptors Speaker Series
- Recruiters Night
- Leading Personal and Organizational Change
- Financial Simulation
- Business Case Development and Presentation Skills
- Case Presentations and Graduation
Who Should Apply?
Program participants will be undergraduate or graduate students from across the province with a specific interest in the field of healthcare. These students will be proven community leaders who have been successful both academically and in their extra-curricular activities.
A selection committee will be looking for well-rounded applicants who can provide examples of demonstrated leadership. The application process will consist of an online application and a personal interview. The application will include a short written component and resume. Personal interview with the selection panel will follow.
Applications Open: Wednesday February 1, 2017
Applications Close: Wednesday February 28, 2017
If you are experiencing issues saving the PDF application with your responses, you may submit a word document with the same information and responses. Please contact Katie Fitzgerald at email@example.com with any questions.
Information Sessions are expected to be held on February 8th and February 15th, 2017 in HSC 2J13 from 6-8 PM.
To pre-register please contact Katie Fitzgerald at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please review a list of Frequently Asked Questions here.
Tuition for the Emerging Health Leaders Program is $3,000 CAD and includes:
- All course material
- Shared accommodation (Note: Private accomodation is available at an additional cost)
- In-course meals and select event dinners
*McMaster University Students: Tuition is $1,500 CAD as the Health Leadership Academy will match your contribution
Please subscribe to be notified when more information is released.
EHL is hosted by the Michael G. DeGroote Health Leadership Academy and partners with the DeGroote School of Business’s Executive Education Program